Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Should smoked salmon ever be brown?

Not sure of the answer but I did once know a Tasmanian salmon trout farmer's son. Not sure if sending a question like this to him out the blue would be appropriate, so am asking you if you know anything about this?

Having lunch with the wonderful and smile inducing Cousin G -she lights up the room with her aura, personality and energy - we order some food from a very welcoming Dean and Deluca style restaurant.

I order the smoked salmon-open faced sandwich and she the tuna delight something or other. When mine arrives all toasty and warm -there are several odd bits of brown around the edges of the salmon. I try to cut them all off but there is too many....

G's sandwich arrived with the waiter's finger stuck in her decorative sauce (maybe it was mayonnaise?) and we sent it back with the draggy-footed waiter.

After I slice and dice to remove all brown bits to no avail we send it back and a few min later the chef -or chief sandwich maker comes out and tries to explain to me that that piece was from the tail -hence why it is brown. I look a little bewildered but if the chef/sandwich man says so I kinda believe him - with doubt.

So he brings me another sandwich and fruit salad and says this one should be better but leaves rather quickly as this one too is brown around the edges. I eat it thinking it still isn't right as it is hard and smells a little fishy and fish should never smell like fish unless it is off. Anyhoo, tried to Google brown edged smoked salmon but the web didn’t give me any info, shocking non? I still think it was wrong but any suggestions from the peanut gallery???? The chef man was nice as, so won't mention the restaurant's name.

Fish fiends pls. reply!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sista I think you ought to change career and become a restaurant critic! The number of times you query your meal has got to be a record!

My advice re the fish, only eat it if you've caught it yourself, that should stop any brown edge queries!

Off to the chip shop now...has made me hungry!