Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On the Road Cooking

Watching a bit of daytime TV lately, I have seen a lot of programs targeted at middle class women who are juggling homes, careers and children all the while trying to watch their weight and feed their families something healthy.

So a lot of these women's programs have a cooking section. The last one I was lucky enough to catch was a woman from Oshawa providing recipes for a host of things that you can cook in a plastic bag -dee-lish! She was a Girl Guide leader (Juicy, Ranoush and I were also GGs in our younger years) and had to create recipes her girls could eat in the forest or wherever they went - the farthest we went was Kortright Conservation Park only 10km away, so no bears or anything wild in our troupe.

Oshawa Guide-lady made a cake in a bag and it looked gross but the crowd ooohed on cue -Mom and I said eeew on cue. And she made other things that she threw in a bag, squished around and then dumped the bag into boiling water to make a tasty meal. To each his own I guess – I prefer my meals not created in a freezer bag but I guess the women of America crave convenience?!

Anyhoo, I know someone who just bought a campervan and is planning to spend summer 07 in it. This is the cooking gear it comes with (see pic). I guess I will have to pass on boil in a bag recipes to her or bring lots of tinned mackerel and hope for fresh bakeries or local eateries nearby –or rely on the bbq for some yummy grilled meat and veg. Am sure the waist will be slimmer after the trip.

If anyone has any camper van recipes please do share....am sure that could be another cook book in itself, should've kept Girl Guide lady's details.

xo

No comments: