Here is the recipe for your baking pleasure.
- 200g unsalted butter at room temp
- 280g sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract - I have some yummy stuff from Mexico
- 1 egg
- 400g plain flour
- salt - just a pinch!
- Icing - 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp lemon juice (fresh is best), 300g icing sugar sifted - and any food coloring to make diff colors - beat egg white and lemon juice together and then slowly add the icing sugar a little bit at a time. Whisk until you get stiff peaks and add coloring to get your desired color.
A few tips:
- Keep a close eye on these when they are in the oven as they can immediately turn very brown (and burn!)
- Mix them only briefly with the mixer then use your hands to ply into a big ball of dough - the recipe I had didn't tell me that so I kept mixing them hoping the crumbly mixture would turn into dough -which it didn't