Friday, September 18, 2009

Wonder Years menu(Dolce Snr's vegetable medley- stick all your veggies chopped up in a dish and bake with mozzarella, Parmesan, salt and pepper)

My sister lives in the Wonder Years movie, all her neighbours say hello, know each other, have street parties, are so nice and are invite each other for potlucks. The above dish was made for a party at one of these such events. I am not a fan of the vegetable medley she made as it was a little soggy and cheesy for my liking but I did like my brother-in-laws tomato salad with fresh basil, mozzarella and lovely olive oil (below).
I think the reason for the soggy vegetable dish was that she left the oven on (!) for a few hours while we were at the beach; it was set to a low temperature so the vegetables cooked but they didn't really roast. Leaving the oven on is not a good idea in my books but it did cook the concoction in time for the party. I think at the end it needed a bit of a broil so it crisped everything up! After a few vinos the neighbours ate everything and the rest the dogs and bees had a go at, so well done for another creative cooking experiment big Sis!

My brother in law is the very adept chef in the family. We all strive to be naturals like Momma Dolce but that may take many years still...

No comments: