Thursday, November 01, 2007

Italian ride - vegetarian meal
Whizzing through the streets of London on the back of a Vespa is something that I didn't think I would ever be able to do after a serious car accident but...hypnotherapy works. Last night I loved my ride on the back of BJ's Vespa, mind you - pre-boarding I was fearful and sick with the thought of breaking my neck (again) so from 5pm onwards I felt a little bit weak and green. But fears are made to be overcome, non?

Once BJ (from Shoot Experience fame) gave me the spare helmet and I was comfortable on the back of the bike I was fine; although I was probably clenching the leather straps a little too tight! It was a beautiful night zipping across London Bridge with all the lights around St.Paul's cathedral through Covent Garden and then finally to Soho. BJ was expertly maneuvering through buses and taxis and pedestrians with a few little squeals from me but I managed to not scold him for some moves that I thought were a bit dangereuse... as Bubbles from Little Britain would say ;)

Apart from clinching onto the leather straps with all my might - I was smiling and the wind blowing in my face was refreshing. At the end of our journey I was happy to get off and to our lovely vegetarian restaurant on Lexington Street. It would've been appropriate if we went to an Italian trattoria due to the Euro feeling I was having on the iconic Italian Vespa but he introduced me to a little hidden gem called Mildred's that was perfect. It is a place that I have walked by several times. It was packed with diners and people waiting for a table - we had to queue for half an hour but it was worth it.

We both ordered the veggie burgers and home cut fries and an apple crumble pudding with custard. The veggie burgers were made with courgettes (zucchini) and sweet potato and were perfectly juicy and delicious! The pudding was also fresh with a combination of apples and wild berries. Next time I am going to try the Malaysian coconut curry.

At Mildred's, the atmosphere is cosy, the food superb, the staff super friendly so definitely a place to go to again. BJ had the 'best' San Miguel beer ever (he hadn't had a drink for a week so that is prob why he was gushing at how good it was) and we also had organic lemonade with lemon juice from Sicilian lemons.

Check out their menu and get there for some great veggie food.

No comments: