Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Attack of the killer tomato!Tomato season rolled around again this year, this time I was lucky enough to be in the country to participate in the festivities - albeit very briefly. The tomato churning contraption was brought out from the cellar - complete with lawnmower motor, wheel and rubber band that was spraying tomato sauce on my arm, wooden base and more bells and whistles that my uncle added to his trusty machine.I think it made it through the whole day and without any mishaps. I do believe that my cousin had a new machine in a box on the day but 'the boss' (pic below of the boss) will probably not allow us to use it until this one blows up. So they day went with washing, grinding and scooping tomatoes lovingly into jars. It is a family tradition and one that ours will probably do forever. Even Bill the neighbour came to chat with the workers. But there was no break room or break schedule ;)

On a side note this work is long and hard and our family in Sicily do not even do this anymore?! They buy the peeled and canned tomatoes straight from Modena. I wonder if they think we are archaic?

But it is worth it all in the end, the tomato sauce the Dolce and the Palazzolo family produce is delicious, fresh, organic and divine!
An impromptu break by the workers...stop laughing before the boss sees you!

No comments: