Tuesday, December 29, 2009



Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....yes they were on Christmas Eve but now a few days later I have eaten some and think that I ate some mouldy ones! Not that I am scared of a little mould, it makes us stronger but I think that it might offset the nutritional values of the other chestnuts. I didn't know how healthy they were until today - while googling 'eating mouldy chestnuts' I found out that they are quite good for you. Cholesterol-free, low in sodium, a good source of dietary fibre, high in water content and high in carbs they are a healthy snack - they are also good for their calcium content, iron and protein offering. Put them on the shopping list next week!

Get some from that roasted chestnut vendor next time you see him -as long as he doesn't dunk them in oil or salt.  Or buy some shiny ones at the shop and roast them for 20-30minutes and eat them nice and warm -they don't need any salt or oil as they are sweet, crumbly and moist all at the same time.

I still like them cold and a few days old but not sure the mouldy ones will like my stomach in a few hours :)




No comments: