Sunday, February 08, 2009

Trechate
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
2tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients together and spread dough into paper thin strips (like lasagna sheets). Cut 4x5 inch strips and then braid one at a time. Try and find a fancy cutter like my Aunt Eleanor uses - see the above picture. She assured me that I could find one at most grocery stores but I have yet to find one in the UK, maybe she could buy me one for my bday (is that a big enough hint?)

Once you have made your Goldilocks braids (trechate means braids in Italian), deep fry and when cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.

I think I would alter the recipe a little and add a bit of vanilla essence or some cinnamon but the traditional way is plain. They are lovely to serve and lovely to eat! Big hugs to my favourite Dolce Aunty for the recipe.

No comments: