Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Potato OdysseyI almost broke my neck while visitng this exhibition at Hay's Galleria the other morning. The poor Peruvian woman almost had me in her arms instead of those little plastic potatos. The cleaners had just come by with that strange machine that half sweeps and half mops the floor and I slipped on a trail of the water - which may have been soapy!?

It was quite funny and luckily I didn't fall - as I did scrape my knee on an escalator earlier on in the week - I think I am turning into my clumsy Aunt Grace. Luckily only the statues witnessed my slip as it was early in the morning. When I looked around I could only see that cleaner in the distance creating a trail of water for other poor workers around the area to slip on. Well onto the exhibit, I wasn't sure what to expect - who knew there were so many varieites of spuds?! Well there are, and the exhibit put on by the Peruvian Embassy displays all of them, I think.

From Time Out mag: This travelling photo exhibition celebrates the humble spud's place as the third most important food crop in the world after rice and wheat. Organised by the Peruvian Embassy for the International Year of the Potato, the display explores the potato's domestication and importance in food cultures worldwide.

If you are in the area it would be interesting to look at just to see all the different types of potatoes but I wouldn't really go out of my way to see it.

Tip: don't go early in the morning with heels on!


No comments: