Friday, January 11, 2008

Ancient cooking utensils found in southern Italy
Pics from an exhibit entitled, The Greeks in Southern Italy at the British Museum which features ancient cooking utensils, amongst other things, that were excavated from the period around 730BC (I never tire of the history of Italy).
(Bronze shell shaped serving dish, Roman 1st century AD)

I have been here for almost 6 years and never been properly inside the museum which is wonderful. In my first few months here I met someone there to buy a mobile phone for Rexi but that was it. I think since I went inside the main lobby back then my mind registered it as a visit. But, when I did wander around last week I was definitely seeing the museum for the first time. Another head wound-y moment! I definitely need memory activities as going at this rate my kids will need to wear name tags in 10 years time...

(Bronze food strainer, 1st century AD)
From the museum:

  • Cooking was done on iron grills over charcoal and wood and in clay or brick ovens.
  • Cooking utensils were made of copper or bronze.
  • The rich ate off silver plates on special occasions but most people used bronze and glass vessels and pottery plates and cups.
  • Wooden plates and utensils were common but not many have survived.
  • Back then, most people’s days begun at dawn, as there were no electricity -oil lamps and candles were the main source of artificial light.
(Wooden spoon, 1st-5th century AD) The traditional tool that Sicilian mothers discipline their children with!

(Bread pan for cakes and bread rolls & bronze frying pan, Roman 1st Century AD)

No comments: