Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mammoth at MonmouthThis is the mammoth queue to get a coffee at Monmouth Coffee. Saturdays at Borough Market are total madness and even during yesterday's lunch hour I had to wait in a smaller queue to try out the legendary coffee. When you order they make the coffee right in front of you drip-style (see pic). A regular filter coffee costs £2.00 ($4.20CDN) which I thought was a bit expensive. But one must never do the conversion when in London or elese you would only eat discounted bread and butter when visiting.

Monmouth started roasting and selling coffee in 1978 at its first location in Covent Garden (the old flower market). They source beans and form relationships with growers in South America, Central America, Asia & the Pacific and Africa. Their builds relationships to ensure sustainability and fair trade from their partners so perhaps that explains the quality and price of the coffee. Also for the sweet tooths, they serve cakes and sweets from Paul which is another of my favourite French bakeries in London.

I must admit I wasn't impressed by the coffee probably becaues I took it black with sugar. Since I have been dairy free I have not taken to the black style of coffee or really enjoyed coffee that much; I think I just loved the combination of coffee and milky goodness.

Monmouth only use whole milk which could explain their popularity...all in all an interesting place to visit but until they use lactose free milk I will have to only listen to Diana's squeals of delight in regards to her visits to Monmouth.

No comments: