Thursday, September 27, 2007

Korean bad-b-qIf this is what is plopped on your table at dinner would you feel hungrier or a little bit grossed out? Presentation is everything and with this put on our table I felt a little queasy as there was such an array of meat and fish in their various bloody juices, in these little trays - all mixed together it was a bit much - we declined on the ox-tongue and livers thankfully!

I knew when we got to Korean Grill House at 214 Queen Street West and walked through their dirty-ish entrance that it could go either way -we could either have a spectacular meal or it would be bad. Unfortunately the latter was true. The all-you can eat part of the menu should've triggered another signal but it didn't and instead we ordered it and waited for the main event to begin.

I actually suggested this restaurant so was very optimistic - I had guests in town and wanted to impress them with the culinary excellence this city has to offer, I guess I will have to try again as this place was nothing to write (or email) home about. The reason I wanted to go there was every time I drove by it looked busy and I could see people happily eating and bbq-ing at their little tables.

I guess if you look at the price for all-you-can eat meat and fish and it is only $12.95 then you should ask yourself what kind of meat and fish are they using? Obviously cheap cuts and bad quality.

The meats arrived in sliver thin slices which made bbqing them quite quick, but if you weren't quick enough they burned and then they left a layer of black burnt stuff on the bbq. After that everything tasted the same - burnt, which probably added some flavour as there was none to begin with. After having a sip of the milky looking miso soup -which was horrid - I gave it back to the waitress then decided to start on the meat fest. I ate a bit of the pork and white fish which was ok when doused in soy sauce ... I then tried the squid and chicken - which was totally flavourless.

I can't write any more as it will just be a rant on how every item of food looked and tasted awful it was just such an terrible experience. The only positives: the side salads were decent and the staff was friendly enough but again nothing to write home about. Am sure there are better quality Korean bbqs in town and will have to check them out...

If you click on their link to their website you will see how the food is supposed to look but then compare them with my pictures - not even close...this place should be in some back alley in Chinatown. I guess you get what you pay for!
first food on the bbq...
end of bbq fun.

No comments: