Thursday, April 19, 2007

Arm Muscle?


I spent the day with Daniel, a talented, young and handsome pastry chef from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel's chic restaurant Foliage. We walked around Chinatown, visited a hidden, sweat-shop-y noodle factory in one of the back alleys and had lunch in a fab new deli. Will post on the noodle factory and the deli later.

After some talk of the splendid deserts that Daniel creates and how some women clients have come back to the kitchen gushing that his chocolat fondant gave them an orgasm I felt a bit inspired. So I decided to make a cake, out of the box! Not the same but still chocolate right? So I said to Daniel, 'I have been meaning to make this cake for ages but did not have a blender.' He looked at me strangely and said, 'Well why not use a spoon or a whisk?' Duh... so this cake mix has been sitting in my cupboard for ages now and it never dawned on me to make it the way my gran always made her cakes with some good old muscle...sometimes we forget what we did before modern gadgetry?!

So off I set, it all was going well, eggs & milk into the bowl, it all smelled chocolate-y, then I needed to add vegetable oil. I picked it out of the cupboard, poured the allocated amount and poured it in - my cake mix then bubbled, started to smell and there were white bits floating around my once lovely brown cake mix. The smell was putrid - I think the oil had gone off and had ruined my cake.

There went the chance of my Daniel and friends tasting my cake and having pure pleasure. So I dumped it down the sink and Rexi turned up with a reduced price Lindt Easter bunny and we ate that instead, ears first of course. Sorry D - will have to make another cake - thx for the cake tins though.

:)

No comments: